Loreto Nursing Home was established close to Saint Patrick’s Convent, The Strand, the original residence of the Sisters of Mercy in Townsville to accommodate ageing and frail sisters. In the early 1980’s, it was extended to become licensed accommodation for lay women as well as sisters. In 2009, it was rebuilt as a new facility at its present address on Fulham Road, Pimlico. Because of its small size compared with many other aged care facilities, Loreto offers an intimate atmosphere with individualized care.
Eligibility for care/How to Apply:
Prior to coming to Loreto, an Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT) assessment will need to be completed. This can be organized by your Doctor, Hospital Social Worker or by contacting the Townsville Aged Care Assessment Team by phoning 07 4433 8300.
A Combined Assets and Income Assessment will determine if you are eligible for government assistance with your accommodation costs. This is conducted by the Department of Human Services (Centrelink) or the Department of Veteran Affairs. The form (SA 457) can be downloaded from the Department’s website www.humanservices.gov.au or by visiting My Aged Care website www.myagedcare.gov.au
To be considered for entry to Loreto, an Application for Admission will also need to be completed.
- An Intimate Space Allowing the Personal Touch
- Time and Space to Nurture the Whole Self
- A Place Where the Personal Story is Treasured and Shared
As a family we are extremely grateful we were able to find such a comfortable, safe and caring home as Loreto for our mother Claire when she needed increased nursing care. We have nothing but praise for the kind friendly staff there. Our mother is always pleased to return home to Loreto after an outing. She refers to the staff and residents as her friends. We know she receives very high quality care and is treated with respect at all times. Loreto creates a warm, compassionate, vibrant and friendly environment and we are always made feel welcome. We remain thankful to the beautiful Loreto staff.Daughter of Claire - Former Resident of LoretoJane
Loreto offers high care aged care services in an intimate and home-like environment with a focus on individual care to provide the best lifestyles and health outcomes for our residents. Being a small nursing home with single rooms with ensuites adds to the uniqueness and charm of Loreto.
We employ a dedicated team of professional nursing, personal care and therapy staff who create a caring and friendly environment.
Visiting professionals include doctors, dentist, pharmacist, podiatrist, physiotherapist, speech pathologist, occupational therapist, dietician and audiologist. Loreto also enjoys the services of a dedicated Diversional Therapist who facilitates and coordinates a variety of activities in consultation with residents.
A mobile hairdresser and library services are available, along with Yoga, Tai Chi, Music and Pet Therapy.
Allied Health Services
- Speech Pathology
- Occupational Therapy
- Diversional Therapy
- Tai Chi
- Pet Therapy
Fees and Charges
There are three components of fees that may be payable at Loreto:
1. A Basic Daily Care Fee (currently $54.69 per day) contributes to day-to-day living costs such as meals, cleaning, laundry, heating and cooling. All residents will be asked to pay this fee.
2. The Accommodation Payment is for your accommodation at Loreto. Based on the information that you receive from Centrelink, we will determine if you need to pay or contribute to this cost. Some people will have their accommodation costs met in full or part by the Australian Government.
3. A Mean-Tested Care Fee may be payable towards the cost of your care. The Department of Human Services will make an assessment to determine if you are required to pay this fee.